Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Estes Park and Pawnee National Grasslands

October 26 & 27, 2009

Richard Stevens:

October 26

I left Denver about 3:00am and headed to Fawnbrook Inn, Allenspark (Boulder County). Two quick stops in Boulder County found a Long-eared Owl at one and missed Eastern Screech-Owls at another traditional location.

I walked the main road in Allenspark to Ferncliff looking for Northern Pygmy-Owls; without success, then watched the Fawnbrook Inn feeders from 7:00am to 8:15am. (Sunrise 7:21am, direct sunlight on feeders at 7:59 am).

Just three Brown-capped Rosy Finches visited the feeders from 7:11am to 7:36 am and again 7:44am to 7:49am. They never returned after that. I continued to watch hoping for a Common Redpoll; that did not happen. A few Rosy Finches probably come every morning, but not consistently until more inclement weather (which could be today 10/28 as it has been snowing all night).

I arrived at Estes Park about 8:45 am and walked to the south end of the Pine Point of the Matthew Reeser Bird Sanctuary. Both the Northern Parula and Yellow-throated Warbler were foraging when I arrived (once in a while, it is nice not to search for hours for the birds!).

The Northern Parula stayed mostly on the ground. I sat down and it came within 3 feet of me (almost too close for my camera). The Yellow-throated Warbler continued foraging along the east side of Pine Point and eventually I lost it near the northern end of the point.

My day was not really been planned out and I had expected to return to Denver. However, I continued east and stopped at Timnath Reservoir first. An adult female Surf Scoter was 40 yards east of the parking lot (access from Larimer County Road 40). Quite a few waterfowl, mostly Ring-necked Ducks, American Coots, Bufflehead, Redheads, Eared Grebes, and a few Common Goldeneyes were there. No additional scoters or loons appeared to be out there.

My darn car continued east and I found myself at Crow Valley Campground (Weld). A quick stop at the North Weld County Landfill on the way only found Ring-billed Gulls there. Few birds were at Crow Valley Campground (2 Northern Flickers, 2 Blue Jays, a pair of Downy Woodpeckers). Not one sparrow was found in the hour and a half I circled the place.

Just before leaving, I decided to walk the southern border from the entrance to the group picnic area. On my return trip a very little and very red wren popped out of the brush southwest of the group picnic shelter. It allowed great looks twice for about a total of 35 seconds (from about 12 feet, of course I had already put my camera in the car)! I had never seen such a red Winter Wren before. It suggested an adult Western Winter Wren. It eventually buried itself in the thick brush and never came out again.

I walked the Briggsdale Cemetery and then the fir trees at the Crow Valley Work Center. No owls were found at either location. In fact, no birds, where are all the sparrows?

Still planning to return home, I thought to checkout the 122 ponds first. A lone Western Grebe and two Eared Grebes were among hundreds of Ring-necked Ducks and American Coots.

I then turned back west and stopped at Little Owl Creek just north of the USDA Experimental Office. Snow Buntings have been found along this hike at least four times in the past (still a little early in the year however). No Snow Bunting and no Short-eared Owls (usually found at 0.5 miles south of where the east-west trail intersects with the creek. A Great Horned Owl was at 0.4 miles north of the intersection.

It was too late in the day to bird another reservoir so I continued west to the Wellington Wildlife Area (Larimer) to end my birding day. Along the drive three Prairie Falcons, two Golden Eagles, and a Northern Shrike were seen.

On the way, I made a quick stop (lucky stop) at a friend's home. He had a Golden-crowned Sparrow visiting under his feeders since Monday! I got good looks and moved on to the Wildlife Area.

At the Wellington Wildlife Area, I walked the line of evergreen trees at the northeast corner but found no owls (it is early for them to arrive for the winter). Hours of visitation are quite erratic and confusing, be sure to get a copy of the hunting seasons at your local sporting goods store to see closures at the Wildlife Area.

I walked Larimer County Road 3 along the east side of the Wildlife Area, watched a colorful sunset and played a Swamp Sparrow recording. A Marsh Wren rattled and came out of the cattails to see what all the commotion was! What a beautiful warm late fall Colorado day!

Instead of heading home, I went back to the Pawnee National Grasslands, set up my telescope and watched stars and satellites for an hour. It is amazing how much "junk" is circling up there. Shortly thereafter, setting up my tent it took no time to fall asleep (having been up for 39 hours or so).

October 27

Just before sunrise, I drove the roads east of Weld CR 77 in search of a Plains Sharp-tailed Grouse. I have not heard of any sightings in a few years now, but did check three locations where I had seen them in the past; without success.

Back at Crow Valley Campground, yesterday's Winter Wren could not be enticed out of the brush (if he was still there?). I headed to Jackson Reservoir by way of my favorite route (for longspurs). Several flocks of Horned Larks also contained a couple of Lapland Longspurs.

Jackson Reservoir (Morgan) was slow. No uncommon gulls, jaegers or waterfowl. A White-throated Sparrow was along the shoreline trees just south of Pelican Campgrounds. The resident Eastern Screech-Owls could not be lured out during the day.

My next stop was Prewitt Reservoir (Logan/Washington). Again, no uncommon birds were found. A couple of American Tree Sparrows were below the dam.

The water level is quite high. I was told by a ranger about six weeks ago that the water level had stayed high this year even though the irrigation season and would not be dropping to previous year's low levels (unfortunate for shorebird watchers). As a side note, the ranger also told me that Prewitt Reservoir was the only northeastern reservoir that had not had a Quagga Mussel invasion (unfortunate for Jumbo, Sterling and all).

Weather was turning bad and I ended my birding day at Brush Wildlife Area (Morgan) (skipped a return trip to Jackson Reservoir for after dark owling). I did relocate the Red-bellied Woodpecker and Eastern Screech-Owl at the northeastern part of the property.

Back in Denver, hope to stay indoors for a day or two or maybe not? Any Murrelet sightings?

No comments: